Tuesday, May 18, 2004

A Flat Tire and a Blessing

So yesterday was an interesting day...I had to deal with IMT and my computer issues--which are not solved yet...I got off work at 5pm, and was totally looking forward to going grocery shopping and then just chilling until my Bible study. Well, things didn't happen that way.

I started driving, and I realized that it didn't feel right. I pulled the car over (still in the school parking lot) and saw that my front right tire was flat...not low, but completely flat. Great! (sarcasm)

I called my Mom and she said that I should call AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California--insurance/roadside assistance), since I had my own membership card now. I could have changed the tire on my own had I had tools, etc., as that is the reason I took auto shop and earned my "Certificate of Profiency in Auto Repair"...but I did not have any tools. So I called, and they sent someone out to put on my spare. The guy was fast--it only took him about 10 minutes to get there--and he was really kind.

I went to see if the tire could be fixed or if it would have to be replaced, and sure enough, it had to be replaced...there was a hole in the sidewall--NO idea how or when that happened!

As the older gentleman was bringing up my total, he noticed that my debit card was from Tehama Bank, which is in Northern California. I told him where it was, and he said "I know! I used to live in Red Bluff!"

What?!

Red Bluff, my hometown, is a small town two hours north of Sacramento...two hours south of the Oregon border...very few people have ever heard of it--so when this guy told me about how he lived there in the 1970's, I was astounded.

And it made me smile.

We talked about Red Bluff (and how it is hotter than Hades there in the summer) for about 10 minutes, and it was such a blessing! He was a very kind man, and he said it was fun to recall his time in "the town he loved"...that's debatable! :)

Anyway, if I had not had a flat tire, I would not have had such a pleasant conversation that made me smile and that brightened this man's disposition. God works in mysterious ways!

Bible study was great as usual...a new guy came last night who just graduated from my school, and ironically we have the same major...never met him before. Interesting. He came with a friend and his girlfriend, making 4 college students now in the group. We are reading through Ecclesiastes, and learning a great deal about life and about how we should live it...

Just some of the wisdom Solomon left for us to use and to learn...

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other." --Ecclesiastes 7:14