Monday, May 31, 2004

August 13th, 2001...

It was a sunny, warm Northern California summer day. We stood by my car, as I prepared to leave to drive home. I'd be leaving for college in L.A. in the next two days, so this was our last visit together. He'd been my best guy-friend for years...and this summer we'd only grown closer. He was someone I praised God for constantly, for he had become closer than a brother to me. We hugged, promised to keep in touch, and made plans for me to come visit in a month for his birthday...

And that was the last I heard from him...for three years...

No reason...no explanation...just nothing from him. Hurt? Oh yeah. Devastated? Nearly. To lose your best-friend that quickly, with NO reason whatsoever is "kinda" painful.

I tried to visit, kept writing, to no avail. I gave up until last May, before I left for Pennsylvania, when the Lord urged me to write "one more letter". I didn't want to, but I did. When I arrived in PA, there was a letter on my bed from him...I sat on that bed holding the letter for so long...what did it say? Did I really want to read it? I finally did, and my heart began to heal. He apologized for all that he had done, and wanted to start our friendship again. I was amazed...cautious, but amazed.

We corresponded through November, and then I didn't hear from him again. He had given me his new numbers, so I called when I was in the area because he also said that he wanted to get together to catch up in person. No answer. No response.

It's been 7 months since I last heard from him.

And yesterday I found out that I will be spending 6 days with him this summer, at camp, as counselors...

Wow.

I freaked out a little yesterday, and my heart pounded as I tried to verify the news I had received. It's true. My former best friend is going to be at camp with me for 6 days at the end of June.

What am I going to do when I see him? What is he like now? What will I say?

All I know is that God has made this happen--there is no way this is a coincidence. I cannot wait to see my former best-friend, to reconcile, to catch-up, and maybe to get some reasons for why he left my life so suddenly. We will have one evening before the campers arrive to talk, and I pray that the opportunity is given! I cannot believe that I will be able to see him...but my heart is filled with trepidation. Three years is a long time...I just have to trust the Lord fully with this one, and just continue to prepare myself for leading camp...that is my true purpose for being there--to lead and disciple the youth that come to this camp...

...but I am grateful that I will get to see him as well.