Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Simple things that can bring such joy...

There are things in life that, even though they seem small, can bring a smile to your face, a lift to your spirits, joy to your heart.

Last night, as I sat watching Seinfeld (Michael and Scott have me watching this now), I decided to put on socks because it was cold...if you know me, you know that I hate socks and shoes, and prefer to go barefoot or wear flip-flops all the time.

When I put the warm, soft socks on my cold feet, I realized how good it felt...and it made me smile. I know, I know, this is something that you're probably thinking is really weird, but it made me think about all the little things that can make me smile...

Warm socks on cold feet...picnics by the lake...experiencing history...sunsets...beautiful, lush gardens...dirt between my fingers after gardening...singing...daisies...making others smile...traveling...hot chocolate...cloudy days when I don't have to go anywhere...babies...a letter in my mailbox...fireworks...driving...feeling loved...preparing a meal for guests...being with my family...bunnies...spending time with youth...a gentle breeze on a warm summer's day...oreos...a hug...hiking in God's beautiful creation...

The list goes on and on...

One lesson I have learned during my 21.45 years on this planet is that the little things are the most important...and the little things mean the most to me...even things as small as warm socks on cold feet...those are the things that really matter.